Monday, January 6, 2014

Goals for a New Year!




2014!  Wow!  Another year with lot's of opportunities to make a difference in our world.

I get tickled with all the debate with who likes and doesn't like resolutions or setting goals.  I've heard some say that when you set resolutions all you are doing is setting yourself up for failure and the same with goals.

What is important to me is...to always strive to be better, regardless if it is the first of the year, the first of the week or in the middle of the year.  When we stop trying to improve ourself and the world around us, we just exist.  The reason the new year is so popular is because it is like a fresh start as in the way Mondays are.  Each Monday is a fresh beginning to a new week.

Whenever I am listening to someone and they start criticizing those that make resolutions or goals, I tune them out.  I will continue to make my goals and or resolutions to be a better person in the areas of my world.

If that isn't enough, you may have set goals and then someone rips your goals apart saying they aren't good enough, not specific enough,  etc. etc.  It's almost like you can't win for losing.

I would like to encourage you to go ahead and set your goals/resolutions and strive to be the best you can be in every area of your life.  Don't ever stop reaching for that goal.

I recently heard someone say that they hate going to the gym at this time of year because of all "those people" who want to begin an exercise program are crowding the gym, but they know they won't be there in a couple of months.  If each of those that have that complaint, maybe they should take one of "those people" by the hand and encourage them, maybe they will be there in a couple of months and may just be pretty successful.

All that to say:

1.  Set your goals/resolutions for the year.
2.  Ask God to give you strength.
3.  When you fail, pick yourself back up and get going again.
4.  Be careful who you share with, you want them to be positive encouraging people.
5.  Don't judge others, encourage them to keep on keeping on!
6.  Your goal should ultimately always be to please God.

*Tomorrow I will have a guest writer that will share tips on how to set your goals and stick to them.  I can't wait!

May 2014 be your best year ever!

1 comment:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Lovely post, Beverly! Happy New Year!